Sunday, February 27, 2011

2. Get a Brazilian Wax (Oct 14th, 2010 accomplished)

It’s embarrassing I know. The idea of waxing some part of your body is always a little awkward and done a little hush-hush. And it always seems to be a bit of a taboo no-no when it comes to talking about it. It admits to people that you are shh… hairy, that you are not perfect. And who wants to admit to themselves, let alone other people, that they aren’t ideal. Which is a ridiculous idea because of course you are not perfect and people don’t want you to be. Maybe it’s that stereotype that has been engrained in us since we were little. Women are supposed to be smooth and sexy, men expect it. So waxing is done but maybe not so much flaunted or talked about.

So here I am. Embarrassed. Not only was I going for a wax but I was going all the way (or as far as you can go in the waxing world). They call it a Brazilian.  It is the most known of bikini waxes, and involves the removal of all hair in the pelvic area, front and back, while sometimes leaving a thin strip of hair in front. Now being a novice in the waxing world I have never gotten anything done before. It’s only been a couple of years since I started getting my eyebrows done. So the idea of a Brazilian was a crazy one.

Now I’m not going to lie. I was also terrified, embarrassed and terrified. Cus not only was it an area not talked about it was going to hurt…a lot. As I mentioned before I had gotten my eyebrows waxed numerous times and had endured one underarm waxing that I almost stopped in pain.  They all hurt, every time. Now that was something I had gotten used to. It wasn’t too bad. But let’s just say the area I’m talking about now…way more sensitive.

The underarms I figured were similar in sensitivity so I did that first as a try. It killed and hurt so bad I almost made her stop. Granted I feel the place wasn’t the nicest and didn’t have good wax. So I convinced myself that it wasn’t an accurate description of how it would feel.

To deter that incident again I decided to go to my salon in Waterloo where I get my hair done. They have a pretty nice spa and I’ve gotten my eyebrows done there with very little pain. I was sure my experience there would be a better one. So it was a whole day at the salon and spa for me.

Getting there I was nervous and told them so a lot. I undressed and they gave me a paper thong like thing to put on. This above all was the weird thing for me. It was so loose and large (I’m guessing one size fits all) it just seemed a bit of a moot point. But I guess it gives people a sense of privacy. With a special kind of pink wax my lady waxed away my privates till I was bald.

Taking longer than I thought let me assure you, it hurt. Oh my god it hurt. It was the scene from 40 year old virgin and I was cussing out the spa lady. This was a bit awkward as she was 7 months pregnant and I threatened to maim her. But we both got by unharmed, relatively as I was in pain.

I immediately felt very naked. I don’t know why but I was very aware now of my neither regions. After a day or two I did tend to like it. It was nice not having to keep it trimmed and pretty and I didn’t have to worry about shaving for weeks. And may I add the boyfriend didn’t mind it a bit, it was only rave reviews in the bedroom.

I don’t know if I ever mentioned why I wanted to do this. Why go through all this pain, especially when I know that it is going to hurt before hand. The answer..I don’t really know. I think it was I was afraid, I knew it was most likely going to hurt a lot and I wanted to conquer my fears. Facing fears, isn’t that was all this bucket list is about. Doing something you normally wouldn’t. I also thought it’d be a win win as not only would I be facing my fear and pain but I also wouldn’t have to the chore of maintaining that area.

In the end, while embarrassing and very awkward it was worth it. I did feel so excited that I accomplished my goal. A painful experience I don’t know if I would do it again, however I do entertain the idea every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment