Thursday, March 24, 2011

My love of Sci-Fi

Ok I’m going to admit it. I have a bit of an affinity for sci fi. Well maybe more than that. I think it’s got some good qualities…Okay I love it; you got it out of me. And I’m not talking about the cheesy aliens hard core weirdness of some shows and movies that we see everyday. I’m talking give me some wicked 90’s cheesy gold of a sci fi show.

I think it dates back to when I was young. My parents always read fantasy children’s books to me and I played alone, a lot. Imagination was my friend so naturally the thought of elves, gateways, magic, or other worlds didn’t faze me too much. It could be possible, why not? At least it was entertaining and far more interesting than our normal boring world.

So, now a grown woman, I’ve recently picked up my sci fi habit again and to be honest I’m loving it! That’s right guys, I’ve embraced the cheese. Let me just give you a short list of the Tv shows I have in my possession: all seasons of Stargate SG1 and the Atlantis, all seasons of Sliders (oh yeah Jerry how you rock my 90’s heart), Heros, Firefly, Buffy seasons, True Blood seasons, something called Kyle XY, regrettably sucked into Vampire Diaries, and I’ve even caught myself pulled into a Star Trek episode (however please don’t judge me as a treky). That’s not including the books which even I, a self admitted sci fi lover, can’t claim as nothing more than a nerd alert haha.

Just finishing the last season of Sliders I can’t help but remark on the awesomely lame effects and (sometimes) plot lines that I find myself loving anyway. I think this translates to all of the shows, which looking back all seem to be created in the 90’s. Yes the styles, the music, and the ridiculous overuse of lasers. The 90’s was where it all happened. So at least it's fun to watch even if your not a big fan.

So for all those who question sci fi and bulk at it’s awesomeness just think of the possibilities. It’s an escape into something you’ve never seen before and makes it more than entertaining to watch. If that doesn’t convince you then at least it’s a good laugh while watching, hey who doesn’t love a little bit of topless Jerry O’Connell.

No comments:

Post a Comment